Friday, October 14, 2016

Iron Deficiency Anemia

The above picture is from a 28 year old woman who presented to her family physician with complains of fatigue and shortness of breath on walking. On further history she mentions having heavy menstrual bleeding that has existed over the past year. On general physical examination she had pale conjunctiva, palms and nail beds.
Her clinical history of prolonged chronic blood loss due to underlying menstrual disorder and examination points to the diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia.

Case Discussion :

Iron Deficiency Anemia: Is most commonly seen in menstruating women or undernourished populations. 

Causes: Include:
  • Blood loss e.g menorrhagia or GI bleeding.
  • Poor diet
  • Malabsorption
  • Hookworm infestation.
Clinical Signs And Symptoms: Patients may be asymptomatic if there is mild deficiency but they may start to feel fatigue, shortness of breath and decreased energy when Hb gets below 10 g/dl. On examination there is pale conjunctiva, palms and nail beds. With chronic iron deficiency patients may develop koilonychia (spoon shaped nails), atrophic glossitis, angular chelosis and rarely plummer Vinson syndrome  ( For detail discussion on Plummer vinson Syndrome read the article : http://studymedicalphotos.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-48-year-old-lady-presents-with.html ) 

Investigations: There is microcytic, hypochromic anemia with anisocytosis and poikilocytosis. 
Decreased MCV, MCH and MCHC. Ferritin in also decreasedas well as decreased total serum iron. . 
Workup should be done to find out the underlying cause (e.g endoscopy for GI bleeding, pelvic ultrasound for menorrhagia) 

Treatment: Treat the underlying cause.
Give oral iron e.g ferrous sulphate 200mg/8hrly . Hb should rise by 1g/dl/week with reticulocytosis. 
Continue iron supplements until Hb is normal and for at least 3 months to replenish body iron stores. 
Intravenous iron is usually not needed but can be used for patients who are unable to tolerate any oral iron preparation.
Iron absorption is increased if taken with vitamin C, so citrus fruits like oranges that contains vitamin C or vitamin C supplements can be given along with oral iron.
Calcium may impair iron absorption and so patients should be instructed not to take calcium supplements within 2 hrs of iron supplements. 


5 comments:

  1. I did a search on the subject and found nearly all persons will go along with with your blog.
    anisocytosis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herbal medicine is the best Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (14) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promise him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, swollen Legs,Diabetes,stomach ucler ,THYROID, COPD, Endometriosis, breast cancer,HIV?AID,ALS, yeast infection, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, HPV low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian Arthritis, Cysts, pile, ASTHMA, Crowns and all other type of diseases,WEAK ERECTION, STRETCH MARK REMOVER , breast cancer, Parkinson's, male-enhancement Cream, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, HEPATITIS B pile, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you for all your work..

      Delete
  2. Nice blog
    Have been totally convinced that HIV,and many others dangerous diseases can be best cured using the Herbal Medicine. Dr.Akpu the great and powerful herbalist cured me with his Herbal remedy. I'm Linda,15 years from Texas. I was born with HIV. I lost parents at my teenager age when I was 4th. I had to grew up with my mum only Sister, whom I loved so much. She was so worried about my life as my condition was her mature problem in life. I had taken lots of antiviral treatment to get ride of the virus not believing what there said HIV has no cure. I was on the internet when i came across blogs of testimony about a lady who where cured of a 7 years diagnose of Herpes by this powerful Herbalist, Dr.Akpu.I wrote down his mail @ Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    I told my Aunt,luckily it was the same Dr,we where referred to few months back by my pastor in church whom members have being testifying about of his cure We did contacted him and explained my problem to him.He prepared the medicine and sent to me with details of how to use and apply. After a while, I began to feel more strong than never before, I felt so lucky and happy when my Doctor congratulated me that he could found no HIV virus again in me. I knew I was free cos my body was so strong. His herbal medicine should have saved my parents life, i said!
    Thanks so much for reading my article, you should share your testimony if you have cure as well
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Is the solution

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:    Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/   Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases  
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herbal medicine is the best Greetings I am here to testify how great man called Dr OMO helped me out with herbs and roots which he prepared for me in use of curing my fibroids and Getting pregnant after 8 years of try to conceive with fibroids I takes his product (cure for my fibroid made with herbal medicine Root) for (14) days before I am to known I was totally pregnant after 2months of using dr omo herbs he also have Herbal medical for all types of diseases, and i promise him that i will tell the world about his Great job he ask me to drink from the herbal medicine before meeting my husband I did and after 2months I was pregnant thank you for your great job he can also help you if you have a low sperm count you want to convince a baby fast PCOS ,infections, swollen Legs,Diabetes,stomach ucler ,THYROID, COPD, Endometriosis, breast cancer,HIV?AID,ALS, yeast infection, Gonorrhea, Chronic Sinus, HPV low testosterone, Herpes, blocked fallopian tubes Liver parasites ovarian Arthritis, Cysts, pile, ASTHMA, Crowns and all other type of diseases,WEAK ERECTION, STRETCH MARK REMOVER , breast cancer, Parkinson's, male-enhancement Cream, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, HEPATITIS B pile, Get lost period back, stop period pain, Email : dromo596@gmail.com WhatsApp him on +2349033505260 thank you for all your work..

    ReplyDelete