Thursday, April 27, 2017

Salivary Gland Tumors

Different types of tumor may occur in the salivary gland and may be benign or malignant. A brief discription of the common tumors occuring in the salivary gland is given here:

1. Pleomorphic Adenoma
The pleomorphic adenoma- mixed salivary gland tumor- is a benign tumor, and the commonest salivary gland tumor. It is most commonly seen in the parotid gland and typically forms a mass in the lateral lobe, which slowly enlarges over many years, women in their forties are most often being affected.

Clinical Features
On palpation the tumor is firm, non tender and smooth or lobulated in texture. initially spherical and encapsulated, it may eventually spread more deeply, with the result that recurrence after resection is common. On oral examination the deep part of the gland may have pushed the tonsil and pillar of the fauces towards the midline.

Histology:
Histologically, it is highly variable in appearance, even within individual tumors. Classically it is biphasic and is characterized by an admixture of polygonal epithelial and spindle-shaped myoepithelial elements in a variable background stroma that may be mucoid, myxoid, cartilaginous or hyaline. Epithelial elements may be arranged in duct-like structures, sheets, clumps and/or interlacing strands and consist of polygonal, spindle or stellate-shaped cells (hence pleiomorphism). Areas of squamous metaplasia and epithelial pearls may be present. The tumor is not enveloped, but it is surrounded by a fibrous pseudocapsule of varying thickness. The tumor extends through normal glandular parenchyma in the form of finger-like pseudopodia, but this is not a sign of malignant transformation.
Pleomorphic adenoma consists of mixed epithelial (left) and mesenchymal cell components (right). The latter often exhibits myxofibrous appearance and in some instances shows chondromatous differentiation.
2. Adenolymphoma (Warthin’s Tumor)
It is a bening tumor and the second most common salivary tumor and is found exclusively in the parotid gland. It usually affects males in their fifties, forming a slow growing, painless swelling over the angle of the jaw, there is a high incidence of bilateral disease.

Clinical features
The tumor is smooth, soft and often fluctuant, its superficial nature and slight mobility sometimes giving the appearance that it is separate from the gland.

Histology: 
The appearance of this tumor under the microscope is unique. There are cystic spaces surrounded by two uniform rows of epithelial cells with centrally placed pyknotic nuclei. The cystic spaces have epithelium referred to as papillary infoldings that protrude into them. Additionally, the epithelium has lymphoid stroma with germinal center formation.
3. Less Common Benign Tumors
The other less common benign tumors occurring in the salivary glands include
  • Monomorphic Adenoma and
  • Oncocytoma.
4. Malignant Tumors
Adenocystic Carcinoma is the commonest malignant salivary tumor and occurs in the sub mandibular, sub lingual and minor glands. In contrast Mucoepidermoid carcinoma predominantlyoccurs in the parotid. other malignant tumor types are adenocarcinoma, squamous carcinoma and malignant mixed tumors.

Clinical Features
Typically malignant tumors produce indistinct, rapidly growing masses and malignant cervical lymphadenopathy. For the sub mandibular gland, numbness of the anterior two-thirds of the tongue from lingual nerve infiltration is diagnostic, whereas sublingual tumors may cause deviation of the tongue from invasion and fixation.

Malignant parotid tumors tend to occur in older age groups and most take the form of solitary hard nodules with deep fixation. there may be local pain exacerbated by opening the mouth.

Squamous cell carcinoma should be considered metastatic, until proven otherwisw, and a primary tumor sought.

3 comments:

  1. I'm short of words to express the goodness of God in my life. I was diagnosed of herpes simplex virus 4 years ago. Which was the worst time in my life. I became worried,distress,felt so rejected,dirty and pity by so many,friends,family and most all my lovely girlfriends. I started keeping in touch with many hospitals,tried many solutions,and consulted many medical practitioners to get ride of my HSV virus,none of the ativiral treatment could cure me .I started trying fruits and herbs, and with time became very interested in herbs for solutions,to get ride of my HSV. I thought my life was gonna end there, i became worried and couldn't sleep at night. On faithful Sunday morning,when the appointed time came for my breakthrough, my lovely girlfriend, crystal who visited me home came up with a good news with her HSV test result negative. I was shocked,but so happy to have seen that. I wouldn't believe if I haven't seen the result and that would have being my worst mistake in life. She told me it was the work of an herbalist in Africa,Dr.Elabe. who prepared the HSV cured and sent it to her through the DHL. I became very interest and went online to search for natural ways for my cure then I saw a testimony of a lady comments on how she was cured from cancer by the same herbalist, then,I quickly email him@
    Dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com.
    its med.are very active with immune booster with no site effect.contact him for the solution to all your sickness. He cures all viruses and diseases
    Dominicelabeherbalhome4all@gmail.com
    Is a God sent in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, everyone! I,m here to explore blogs and forum about wonderful and most safe cure for (Herpes Virus).I was positive to the deadly virus called herpes and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for Herpes and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from Herpes so i decided to contact the same herbalist because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will heal me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via DHL and it got to me after 3 days!i used the med as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!its really like a dream but i am so happy!thats the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!and if you need his help, you can email him on nativehealthclinic@gmail.com, or whatsapp +2348140073965 I,m neme amber and you can get in touch with me via nemeamber@gmail.com..Contact him for help at Herpes virus HIV/AIDS CANCER COPD BRAIN TUMOR All kind of virus and disease

      Delete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete