Monday, April 24, 2017

Allergic Conjunctivitis

Allergic conjunctivitis is a condition whereby airborne allergens precipitate type 1 IgE-mediated hypersensitivity reactions in the conjunctiva. 

Allergic Conjunctivitis. Conjunctival injection, chemosis, and a follicular response in the inferior palpebral conjunctiva are seen in this patient

Allergens include:

  • pollens, 
  • animal dander, 
  • mites, 
  • mold, and 
  • dust. 

Approximately 50% of patients have a personal or family history of allergic conditions such as
atopy, eczema, asthma, and allergic rhinitis.

Clinical Features: Itching is the hallmark symptom. Associated clinical features include:

  • conjunctival injection and edema, 
  • burning, 
  • discharge (clear, white, or mucopurulent), 
  • chemosis, and 
  • eyelid redness and swelling. 
  • Small papillae may be seen on the tarsal conjunctiva.

Vernal conjunctivitis is a rare but serious form of allergic conjunctivitis. The highest incidence is seen in the arid areas of the Middle East and North Africa secondary to wind and dust storms. Symptoms are similar to allergic conjunctivitis, but are more intense. Itching is severe and a vigorous knuckle rubbing is a typical observation. Giant, raised, pleomorphic papillae (“cobblestones”)
seen over the upper tarsal plate are pathognomonic.


Vernal Conjunctivitis. The tarsal conjunctiva demonstrates giant papillae and a cobblestone appearance pathognomonic for vernal conjunctivitis

Management:

  1. The initial approach is to eliminate the allergen. Avoiding animal dander, using air conditioners with appropriate filters, and limiting time outdoors will improve the condition.
  2. Topical tear substitutes are effective to dilute or wash away the allergen. 
  3. H1 antihistamine-vasoconstrictor combinations such as over-the-counter Naphcon A are recommended to relieve mild itching and redness. 
  4. For more severe or frequent attacks, olopatadine, an antihistamine with mast cell stabilizing properties, is more effective. 
  5. Mild topical steroids are an option only after consultation with an ophthalmologist.
  6. Options for vernal conjunctivitis include cromolyn, aspirin, and cold compresses. 
  7. Topical cyclosporin may be useful in resistant cases.
Important Points To Remember: 

1. Itching is the hallmark symptom of allergic conjunctivitis.
2. Itching is not common in nonallergic conjunctivitis.
3. Symptoms are usually bilateral.
4. Naphcon A and olopatadine are effective in treating allergic conjunctivitis.
5. Complications of topical corticosteroid use include glaucoma, cataract formation, secondary infection, and corneal perforation.

3 comments:


  1. I feel so excited today because it's just a year since I got my breakthrough from Herpes.I was diagnosed of HSV1 on the 12/4/2015 and latter i got affected with the HSV2. That was my 2nd outbreak after i lost my ex fiance that got me affected with the virus. I was so scared when he died and what i heard about the Herpes virus as he's deathly and such has no cure. I feel so pity and and a disgrace to my personality,in my career and my family to have been in with the deathly sickness, and that would makes my love ones siblings stay far from me. I was going to my regular church activities when i begin to hear testimonies of how people get cure online, i never gave it a thought till my cousin Stephanie who was affected with HIV told me, Lenny you need not to worry cos i met i man today online , i traditional herbal healer whom two of her friends confirmed he cure them with his herbal herbs that i should give it a try. I saw the interest in her and she did contact the herbal doctor again in my present, luckily for me he picked and show up himself, behold he was at about to attain to some patients that have came back with appreciation of how he cure them from Cancer, HIV, and off much too the herpes he cured an 18 years old daughter.
    I was so happy that day, i wanted to be there but the distance was a barrier to me. I told him how the virus had eaten me up and and a truly believe there's cure for herpes. He told me me with assurance that my case wont be different and he had been curing lots of people With his herbal medicine and most people due contact him from the States and preperd the medicine and made use of the DHL to reach him.
    Honestly speaking Dr. Akpu power his a great and gifted herbalist,His destined to herbs.
    He made me do away with the medical prescription,the acyclovir (Zovirax), famciclovir(Famvir), and valacyclovir (valtrex). you don't know him because you haven't meet this man try and contact him yourself Dr. Akpu in Africa is popularly known in his City,and you can request for his address yourself. I'm so happy now cos,I and my cousin had been confirmed negative till date..the Lord is good in my life. Dr. Akpu sent me his herbal medicine that heal me too, 🙏 🙏 Dr. Akpu for giving me another life.
    Contact Dr.akpu for all kids of sickness@
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I THINK IT'S RIGHT TIME YOU TRY HERBAL MEDICINE!!!
    I world is enough for a wise. I'm john chamber from New South Wales, Australia. I was an Herpes patient for 2years ,i suffered a great lost in applying medical treatment to get cure from the virus the blisters keeps reoccurring on me. It was too scaring having does sleepless nights with Herpes. I went through many hospitals seeking for the solution to my cure all my efforts where rendered useless. I was so frustrated, and lost my lovely wife along the line due to the bad effects of her virus. I became so ashamed of myself. I decided to check on the internet if there could be any possible remedy to this dangerous virus . Then,I came across lots of comments about Dr. Akpu's Herbs cure who's patience have recommended him of his Good work,testifying how his medicine saved their lives, and there have been living happily negative of the Herpes virus. I thought and believe I could be cure as well. Then,I decided to give it a try. To my greatest surprise after contacting the Dr.,I was very happy in our first chat and I believe in everything he said. He really proved to me after going through lots of pics and videos with his patients. I then ordered for his medicine , he prepared and sent it through the DHL service...it was like a jock,but now a dream come through that I'm Herpes free, I have recently been confirmed HSV negative. All thanks to God for showing me the way to Dr Akpu the great and powerful herbalist, the best herbalist, with understanding and genuine in his works.
    He cures all diseases/virus. Including HIV/AIDS, TYPHOID,WEEK ERECTION, LOW SPAM COUNT,INFERTILITY ,DIABETES ,SYPHILIS, HEPATITIS, CANCER,KIDNEY FAILURE/DISEASES, STROKE, And much more......
    Dr.Akpu power can help you @
    Phone no: +2348079594617. WhatsApp
    E-mail
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'M Kelly FROM KENTUCKY.
    I wanna thank God for Using Dr. Odey Abang to restore my son's Happiness. He came from school crying that he was diagnosed of Herpes and his teacher and the Physician Therapist told him he could not get a cure rather living on drugs, he never talk to us about it anymore not knowing he plans committing suicide . I had to monitor him and explain to him that he should manage the prescribes ACYCLOVIR, , FAMCICLOVIR and the VALACYCLOVIR.
    4 months later, he told me about an Herbalist who he heard curing people from online and he sents through the DHL service. Not quite long,he brought his phone, had to speak with the Herbalist and explain how my son had really felt and desperate in need of the cures, he assured me with no site effects after taking the medicine and promise to do as he said, 5 days later, t medicine arrived, applied as instructed and within two weeks to finish,I had my son told me he was wondering why all this while,they have not approved the cures of which doctor ODEY told him he Cures.
    Rest assured, after the checkup, he tested negative and his smiles was being restored.
    supriesed Herpes could be Cured!!!☔💯
    If you're in trouble of health
    HIV/AIDS, DIABETES, Herpetites, KIDNEY PROBLEM, INFERTILITY, INFECTIONS, IRREGULAR MESTURATION, WEEK ERECTION, CANCER ETC
    ALL THIS ARE CURABLE WITH HERBAL REMEDIES BY FROM DR. ODEY ABANG
    Kindly contact him for more information on health and Safety solutions @
    odeyabangherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete