Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Enlarged Adenoids On Lateral Pharyngeal X Ray


This lateral pharyngeal X ray was done for a 5 year old child who was brought to a pediatrician with the complaints of snoring, recurrent respiratory infections and chronic suppurative otitis media and peculiar facies.

What Is the most likely Diagnosis?

Lateral pharyngeal X-ray reveals obliteration of nasopharyngeal air column and adenoidal hypertrophy. All these features along with this X-ray are very much suggestive of enlarged adenoids in this child. Digital palpation or indirect visualization by pharyngeal mirror in older children helps in the diagnosis of this condition.

Case Discussion:


Clinical Features: Enlarged Adenoids in children is characterized by

  • mouth breathing (especially in the supine position),
  • snoring, 
  • persistent rhinitis, 
  • chronic suppurative otitis media, 
  • nasal speech,
  • halitosis, 
  • night cough,
  • impaired hearing and 
  • adenoid facies.

Enlargement of adenoids can block the nasal passages causing snoring, breathing through mouth and nasal voice due to blocking of the secretions in the nose.
It can result in nasal infections (rhinitis) which can traverse to middle ear too.
They may present with features of sleep apnea. If the apnea is more than 10 seconds despite the respiratory effort, it is regarded to be significant.
Sleep apnea syndrome is diagnosed when 30 or more apneic episodes occur during seven hours sleep period. It would ultimately lead to somnolence, physical and behavioral problems and Cor pulmonale lastly.
Diagnosis of sleep apnea syndrome is confirmed by Polysomnography.

Management: Adenotonsillectomy cures the condition in many children.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog
    Have been totally convinced that HIV,and many others dangerous diseases can be best cured using the Herbal Medicine. Dr.Akpu the great and powerful herbalist cured me with his Herbal remedy. I'm Linda,15 years from Texas. I was born with HIV. I lost parents at my teenager age when I was 4th. I had to grew up with my mum only Sister, whom I loved so much. She was so worried about my life as my condition was her mature problem in life. I had taken lots of antiviral treatment to get ride of the virus not believing what there said HIV has no cure. I was on the internet when i came across blogs of testimony about a lady who where cured of a 7 years diagnose of Herpes by this powerful Herbalist, Dr.Akpu.I wrote down his mail @ Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    I told my Aunt,luckily it was the same Dr,we where referred to few months back by my pastor in church whom members have being testifying about of his cure We did contacted him and explained my problem to him.He prepared the medicine and sent to me with details of how to use and apply. After a while, I began to feel more strong than never before, I felt so lucky and happy when my Doctor congratulated me that he could found no HIV virus again in me. I knew I was free cos my body was so strong. His herbal medicine should have saved my parents life, i said!
    Thanks so much for reading my article, you should share your testimony if you have cure as well
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Is the solution

    ReplyDelete