Sunday, February 7, 2016

A 2 Year Old Child With Milk Bottle Dental Caries


A 2 year old boy was seen by a general practitioner for an upper respiratory infection. While doing the physical examination, the doctor noticed poor dental hygiene and dental caries. The picture is shown above.

What could be the most likely cause?

Milk Bottle Dental Caries

Case Discussion :


It is milk bottle dental caries. It is also known as baby bottle tooth decay (BBTD). It occurs because usually the baby is fed milk with bottle and the infant often goes to sleep with bottle. Thus, milk remains in contact with the teeth during sleep for long duration that precipitates the caries in upper and lower incisors of the child especially. Dental caries development depends on the inter-relationship between the tooth surface, dietary carbohydrates and specific oral bacteria. Dietary carbohydrates are fermented by oral bacteria especially mutans streptococci. It results in production of organic acids that reduce the pH of dental plaque adjacent to the tooth to a point that demineralization occurs. Initially carious lesion appears as an opaque white spot on the enamel but with progressive demineralization cavity formation occurs in the tooth. Sucrose is the most cariogenic sugar because a byproduct glucan is produced on its bacterial metabolism. Glucan is a polymer which enables the bacteria to adhere more readily to tooth surface and cause damage. Bottle feeding in sleep is very likely to cause dental caries because of greater duration of contact of sweetened milk being supplied to bacteria for causing dental caries. It has great cariogenic potential. It often results in severe caries of upper and lower incisor teeth in such children. Therefore, it is often advised that children should never be given feeds by bottle and that especially in night or before sleeping. Sucrose that is present in candies and chocolates is more cariogenic than other sugar containing substances that are likely to come in contact with teeth for a shorter duration. Candies and chocolates are usually retained much longer. Many times, they stick over teeth thus provide the substrate (carbohydrate) to bacteria for production of organic acids that destroys teeth. It is best for children to avoid candies and chocolates altogether. Even if they occasionally eat it, then it is best to brush and gargle thoroughly after it to clean the teeth of its remnants.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, my name is Betty. i was diagnosed of HIV virus 4 years back. Before then, i was dating this Derrick guy. we had something great going on. Our love life only lasted for 8 months. the sixth and seven month of our relationship, i began feeling very weak every now and then. But i never suspected anything until I kept on experiencing different symptoms like having sore throats, constant headache, body weakness e.t.c. I decided to go for a medical check up. I was tested HIV positive. when the doctor broke the news to me, it was as if my whole world had crumbled. it dawned on me then that Derrick has been lying to me. i was very mad to an extent i almost committed suicide. But there was nothing i could do, other than weep and weep. ever since then, i have been spending heavily on medications, going from one medical clinic or the other so I can look healthy. Though since i was a kid, i love herbs a lot. i take herbal tea with grandma while growing so i am quite familiar with herbs. early last year, i was on the internet and on a particular health blog, to check for herbal medication as alternative. I saw many comments and read many testimonies. Until i came across a particular testimony on how Dr.ugo cured a patient from herpes simplex virus using pure natural herbs. i reached out to the doctor because I also was thinking Herpes had no cure. I told him about my HIV status.He encouraged me not to panic that he will help me get my deliverance. he prepared some herbs and sent them to me. The herbs were in four 70ml bottles and I took them morning and night. i used as he directed, and in less than three weeks, i started having appetite to eat plenty of food and i gained back my strength. the fourth week,I consumed all the herbal meds. He encouraged me to go for a test which i did. This time, the result was negative. I quickly contacted the doctor and informed him of the news. I immediately asked him to prepare for Derrick too. He did and sent it. Today, me and Derrick are HIV free. All thanks goes to God Almighty for healing us through Dr.Ugo. if you are having any kind of sickness at all, Dr.Ugo is the right person to talk to and i assure you, you will be glad you did. His email: ugoherbalhome@gmail.com you can also write him on WhatsApp +2348104990619.

    ReplyDelete