Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A Skin lesion that developed Over A 4 week period....

The pictured skin lesion developed over a 4-week period. The most likely diagnosis is
A) Melanoma
B) Basal cell carcinoma
C) Keratoacanthoma
D) Dermatofibroma
E) Molluscum contagiosum

Answer:
The answer is C. (Keratoacanthoma)

Discussion:
Keratoacanthoma (KA) is a rapidly growing hyperkeratotic nodule with a central keratin plug. A KA typically develops over 3 to 6 weeks, in contrast to the slow growth of typical squamous cell carcinomas (SCCs) over months to year.
KAs occur most commonly in areas of sun-damaged skin. KAs are clinically and histologically indistinguishable from well-differentiated SCC.
The etiology of KA is not certain, however; human papillomavirus DNA has been found in some cases. KAs have also occurred in skin soon after radiation therapy. Additionally, there are syndromes of multiple KAs developing over years.

There is controversy regarding whether KAs are malignant or benign. Although they resemble SCCs histologically, most spontaneously regress with scar formation. There have been reported cases of invasive KAs, some with metastases, leading many experts to consider all KAs a form of SCC and treat them as such. Because of the uncertain malignant potential of KAs, most are treated as well-differentiated SCC.

2 comments:

  1. Its a miracle that I am alive today. I encounter HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS (HSV1/2) for good four (4) years, six (6) months and twelve (12) day with my calculations, before I meet the great Dr. Emmanuel. I am Tina Richard from Fresno California, united state of America and I was affected with herpes virus.Herpes is a viral infection cause by the Herpes simplex virus, marked by painful, watery blister in the skin or mucous membrane or on the genitals. This was what I suffered for good four years. I have visited CVS Pharmacy in Fresno for treatment but no improvement. I meet Dr.Emmanuel online while I was searching for herpes cure I read a testimony about his work. I give a try that now becomes a testimony in my life. I contacted Dr.Emmanuel WhatsApp  +2348140073965 or E-mail: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete