Sunday, September 18, 2016

A 32 Year Old Man Presents With Unilateral Nasal Obstruction - A Case Of Nasal Polyp

A 32-year-old man complains of unilateral nasal obstruction for the past several months of gradual onset. On examination of the nose, a nasal polyp is found.



Case Discussion

Nasal Polyp:
Introduction: Nasal polyps are benign lesions arising from the mucosa of the nasal passages including the paranasal sinuses. They are most commonly semitransparent.

Epidemiology: Prevalence of 1% to 4% of adults; 0.1% of children of all races and classes.
• The male-to-female ratio in adults is approximately 2:1.
• Peak age of onset is 20 to 40 years old; rare in children younger than 10 years old.

Associations: Associated with the following conditions:
~ Nonallergic and allergic rhinitis and rhinosinusitis.
~ Asthma—In 20% to 50% of patients with polyps.
~ Cystic fibrosis.
~ Aspirin intolerance—In 8% to 26% of patients with polyps.
~ Alcohol intolerance—In 50% of patients with polyps


Etiology And Pathophysiology:
• The precise cause of nasal polyp formation is unknown.
• Infectious agents causing desquamation of the mucous membrane may play a triggering role.
• Activated epithelial cells appear to be the major source of mediators that induce an influx of inflammatory cells, including eosinophils prominently; these in turn lead to proliferation and activation of fibroblasts. Cytokines and growth factors play a role in maintaining the mucosal inflammation associated with polyps.
• Food allergies are strongly associated with nasal polyps.

Clinical Features: 

• The appearance is usually smooth and rounded
• Moist and translucent
• Variable size.
• Color ranging from nearly none to deep erythema.
• The middle meatus is the most common location.

Laboratory testing And Diagnosis:

• Consider allergy testing.
• In children with multiple polyps, order sweat test to rule out cystic fibrosis.
• CT of the nose and paranasal sinuses may be indicated to evaluate extent of lesion(s)
• Biopsy is not usually indicated. If done histology typically shows pseudostratified ciliary epithelium, edematous stroma, epithelial basement membrane, and proinflammatory cells with eosinophils present in 80% to 90% of cases.

Management:
• Medical treatment consists of intranasal corticosteroids.
• An initial short course (2 to 4 weeks) of oral steroids may be considered in severe cases.
• Steroid treatment reduces polyp size, but does not generally resolve them. Corticosteroid treatment is also useful preoperatively to reduce polyp size.
• Oral doxycycline 100 mg daily for 20 days was shown to decrease polyp size, providing benefit for 12 weeks in one randomized controlled trial.
• Topical nasal decongestants may provide some symptom relief, but do not reduce polyp size.
• Montelukast reduces symptoms when used as an adjunct to oral and inhaled steroid therapy in patients with bilateral nasal polyposis.

• Surgical excision is often required to relieve symptoms.

2 comments:

  1. Nice blog
    Have been totally convinced that HIV,and many others dangerous diseases can be best cured using the Herbal Medicine. Dr.Akpu the great and powerful herbalist cured me with his Herbal remedy. I'm Linda,15 years from Texas. I was born with HIV. I lost parents at my teenager age when I was 4th. I had to grew up with my mum only Sister, whom I loved so much. She was so worried about my life as my condition was her mature problem in life. I had taken lots of antiviral treatment to get ride of the virus not believing what there said HIV has no cure. I was on the internet when i came across blogs of testimony about a lady who where cured of a 7 years diagnose of Herpes by this powerful Herbalist, Dr.Akpu.I wrote down his mail @ Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    I told my Aunt,luckily it was the same Dr,we where referred to few months back by my pastor in church whom members have being testifying about of his cure We did contacted him and explained my problem to him.He prepared the medicine and sent to me with details of how to use and apply. After a while, I began to feel more strong than never before, I felt so lucky and happy when my Doctor congratulated me that he could found no HIV virus again in me. I knew I was free cos my body was so strong. His herbal medicine should have saved my parents life, i said!
    Thanks so much for reading my article, you should share your testimony if you have cure as well
    Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
    Is the solution

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cured from herpes 2 weeks ago

    100% guaranteed.

    R.buckler11 ((@ gmail.com )),,

    ReplyDelete