Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Case Of Purpura

A patient is seen with a rash of purplish spots caused by internal bleeding from small blood vessels.
The condition is known as purpura which can be caused by a number of different cause.

Approach to A Patient With Purpura:
Purpura is defined as purple colored spots and patches that may occur on the skin and the mucous membranes and caused by blood leaking from the small blood vessels under the skin.

When the purpura spots are less than 3 mm in diameter , they are called petechiae.
When these spots are larger than 1 cm in diameter it is called ecchymoses 


Causes Of Purpura:
1. Thrombocytopenic purpura: associated with low platelet count

  • Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura
  • Marrow replacement by leukemia.
  • Marrow replacement by secondary malignancy.
  • Marrow aplasia. 
  • Drugs that can reduce the platelet count.
2. Infection:
  • Meningiococcemia: in which the purpura is raised and palpable.
  • Infective endocarditis. (associated with a heart murmur, splenomegaly, clubbing, Osler nodes)
  • Scarlet fever
  • Measles 
  • Rubella
  • Typhoid fever

    3. Vascular causes due to capillary defect:

    • Senile purpura due to skin fragility and atrophy.
    • Steroid induced purpura
    • Henoch scholein purpura: commonly seen in children characterized by a purpuric rash over the extensor surfaces of the limbs along with arthritis, abdominal pain and acute nephritis.
    4. Coagulation Deficiency:
    • Hemophilia A
    • Hemophilia B (Christmas disease)
    • Anticoagulant therapy 
    5. Other Causes: 
    • Hypersplenism
    • Amyloidosis
    • Von Willibrand's disease.
    • Scurvy
    • Poly arteritis nodosa
    • Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.
    • Hemolytic uremic syndrome
    • Disseminated intravenous coagulation.
    • Ehler danlos syndrome
    Investigation: In some patients clinical history may point towards the diagnosis for example history of steroid use or a history of certain drug intake. In cases where the underlying cause is not clear following investigations need to be done:
    • A full blood count
    • Complete coagulation screening
    • Protein electrophoresis
    • Bone marrow biopsy
    • Skin biopsy for small vessel vasculitis. 
    Management: Treatment depends on identifying the underlying cause and managing accordingly. 

    1 comment:

    1. Nice blog
      Have been totally convinced that HIV,and many others dangerous diseases can be best cured using the Herbal Medicine. Dr.Akpu the great and powerful herbalist cured me with his Herbal remedy. I'm Linda,15 years from Texas. I was born with HIV. I lost parents at my teenager age when I was 4th. I had to grew up with my mum only Sister, whom I loved so much. She was so worried about my life as my condition was her mature problem in life. I had taken lots of antiviral treatment to get ride of the virus not believing what there said HIV has no cure. I was on the internet when i came across blogs of testimony about a lady who where cured of a 7 years diagnose of Herpes by this powerful Herbalist, Dr.Akpu.I wrote down his mail @ Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
      I told my Aunt,luckily it was the same Dr,we where referred to few months back by my pastor in church whom members have being testifying about of his cure We did contacted him and explained my problem to him.He prepared the medicine and sent to me with details of how to use and apply. After a while, I began to feel more strong than never before, I felt so lucky and happy when my Doctor congratulated me that he could found no HIV virus again in me. I knew I was free cos my body was so strong. His herbal medicine should have saved my parents life, i said!
      Thanks so much for reading my article, you should share your testimony if you have cure as well
      Dr.akpupowerherbscenter@gmail.com
      Is the solution

      ReplyDelete