Thursday, May 21, 2015

A 25 Year Old Man Presents With 3 Day History Of Chest Pain And Increasing Breathlessness.

A 25-year-old male presented to the Accident and Emergency Department with a three-day history of
pleuritic, lright-sided chest pain and increasing breathlessness. The symptoms started suddenly while he was playing football. He denied any chest trauma. Until then he had been fit and well, and there was no past medical history of note. His father died suddenly at the age of 32 years.
On examination he was thin and tall and distressed with pain. There was no pallor or cyanosis. He had a wide arm span. The heart rate was 100 beats/min and blood pressure 150/80 mmHg. The respiratory rate was 32/min. The trachea was deviated to the left. Percussion appeared to be reduced on the left side and was loud on the right side. The right lung base was dull to percussion. On auscultation of the lung fields breath sounds were absent on the right side and normal on the left side. Auscultation of the precordium demonstrated
quiet heart sounds and a soft mid-systolic murmur. The femoral pulses were easily palpable. The left calf was bruised and slightly tender. He attributed this to an injury sustained during the football match. The ECG revealed normal sinus rhythm.

1. Which test would you perform to reach a diagnosis?
Answer: Chest X ray.

The chest X ray is shown below:
The X ray Shows a large pneumothorax on the right side with a collapsed lung (arrows).


2. What is the cause of his respiratory symptoms?
Answer: The pnemothorax that is diagnosed on the x ray.
Pleuritic chest pain and increasing breathlessness occur in pleurisy with or without pleural effusion, pneumonia, pulmonary embolism and lung malignancy. The physical signs are suggestive of a large
right pneumothorax.

3. What are the causes of pneumothorax?
Answer: Causes of pneumothorax include:

  • asthma,
  • emphysema,
  • stab wound to the lung or following a fractured rib,
  • fibrotic lung disease, 
  • suppurative lung disease (rupture of a lung abscess into a bronchus, staphylococcal pneumonia), 
  • pneumoconiosis, 
  • neurofibromatosis,
  • tuberose sclerosis, 
  • Marfan’s syndrome, 
  • Ehlers–Danlos syndrome and 
  • lymphangioleiomyomatosis. 

Most cases are idiopathic and occur in tall, thin men. A rare form, usually left-sided, occurs in women during menstruation (catamenial pneumothorax). It is possibly due to pulmonary endometriosis.

4. What is the underlying cause in the case mentioned above?
Answer: The underlying diagnosis and the cause of the pnemothorax in this case is Marfan’s syndrome. This is suggested by his tall height, cardiac mumur consistent with mitral valve prolapse and a possible family history of the condition, i.e. his father died prematurely. The syndrome is caused by a mutation in the gene encoding the connective tissue protein fibrillin on chromosome 15. The condition is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait. Affected individuals are tall, have a wide  rm span, arachnodactyly and skeletal deformities which include kyphoscoliosis, high arched palate, and pectus excavatum.
The joints are hyperextensile. Other associations include lens dislocation and retinal detachment. Mitral valve prolapse and aortic dilatation are recognised cardiac manifestations. Aortic dissection or rupture are the commonest cause of death. Patients with Marfan’s syndrome have a higher incidence of pneumothorax than the general population.

6 comments:

  1. Just wanna say a big thank you patrice cythia for introducing me to Dr zubby the great HERBALIST that helped me prepare home remedies that cured my herpes simplex virus (HSV1&2)I was infected with herpes for the past two years and i was not happy all day so i was desperate to get a cure so that i can live normal and get healthy.One day i was less busy so i decided to make latest research on herpes  cure  and i found a site were everyone was talking about Dr zubby and has ability to cure Herpes, HIV, HPV, Cancer, ALS, COPD, Anthrax, genital wart, cold sore, Arthritis skin tag and all manners of diseases and virus.So i discussed with cythia and she explained to me that its very easy working with Dr zubby  so i contacted Dr zubby via email  dr.zubbysolutionhome@gmail.com and he helped me just as he has helped others now I am  now cured from herpes am very happy now.and i can also assure you that he can also help you. so if you need the service of DR zubby kindly contact him dr.zubbysolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp +2348070673249. His website https://drzubbyherbalcure.weebly.com   
    ,.,.,.,.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here to give my testimony about chief dr lucky who helped me in my life, i want to inform the public how i was cured from herpes simplex virus by chief dr lucky, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on herpes and i saw comment of people talking about how chief dr lucky cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my herpes result came out negative. I pray for you chief dr lucky am cured you can also get your self cured my friends if you really need my doctor help, you can reach him now.
    Email: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com Call or What's App +2348132777335
    Website : http://chiefdrluckysolutionhome.website2.me/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My names is Elizabeth Wong want to testify about the great spell caster called Dr Osasu my husband and i have been married for 8 years now we don't have a child and the doctor told us i can't give birth because my womb have been damaged due to wrong drugs prescription this got me so worried and my husband was not happy so he decided to get married to another girl and divorce me i was so sad i told my friend about it she told me about a powerful spell caster she gave me his email address well i never believe in it that much though i just decided to give him a try and he told me it will take 24hrs to get my husband back to me and i will get pregnant i doubted him the 3rd day my husband came back to me and was crying he said he didn't want the divorce anymore 3 weeks after the doctor confirmed that i was pregnant he can also help you contact him at

    (drosasu25@gmail.com)

    WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not normally like giving my views about certain matters, but the Herpes treatment solution that i ordered from Dr Olori is simply too great not to share due to its fast and effective outcomes. I saw a massive development right after just a couple weeks. This morning I tested negative, email droloriherbalcenter@gmail.com .
     You can place orders via https://drolorimiraclemedicine.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good news this is to everyone out there with different health challenges, as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Ehimare a herbal practitioner who helped cured me from HSV (2). I have suffered from this disease for the past 5 years and I have spent so much money trying to survive from it. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Ehimare sent to me to drink for about 14 days . 3 days after completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I was tested free from HSV. All thanks to God for leading me to Dr Ehimare who was able to cure me completely from this deadly disease. I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Ehimare   because I got to know him through Elizabeth who he cured from HIV. I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections. Don’t die in ignorance or silence and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Ehimare   through his email  drehimare3@gmail.com or whatsapp on +1 (267) 691-1087   He cure all forms of disease {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} BLOOD CANCER {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA.etc Be kind enough to share as you received.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got Diagnosed with Herpes, I have be dealing with Herpes for the past 4 years. On till I got review online about natural cure people testifies how DR. Ehimare cure them with his herbal treatment. And I order the treatment, after taking it for 21 days I totally got cured with DR. Ehimare treatment. I'm recommending you diagnosis with herpes should get this treatment and be cured of it you can contact his email address via; drehimare3@gmail. com or you can also call or whatsapp +1 (267) 691-1087Dr. Ehimare also cure the following virus and many more... 1} Cancer 2} Diabetes 3} Hepatitis 4} fibroid 5} herpes 6} Lupus  

    ReplyDelete